Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Desert Song

In light of the tragic events in Aurora last week, the age-old question of "Why Does God Allow Bad Things to Happen?" is being asked and pondered by almost all of us...which is why this guest blog by Kevin Vannorsdel is so welcomed. Kevin has wonderfully put into words some of what our hearts are aching to express. Thanks Kevin!

--Dan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Desert Song

So I’ve been listening to the Flatirons worship CD lately. Cut 10 is one of my favorites: The Desert Song. 

I’ve sung that song dozens of times I suppose but for some reason- I’ve missed some of the meaning in the lyrics. Wow! They are good. The first verse goes like this:

This is my prayer in the desert
And all that's within me feels dry
This is my prayer in my hunger and need
My God is the God who provides

At a recent Theology On Tap meeting we discussed the difficult topic of “God and Hard Times”. With the recent shooting in Aurora, the question is heavily on most of our minds I suppose…Why does God seem so distant sometimes… and how can we cope during these times of drought?

The first verse of the Desert Song and the topic in general make me think of Psalm 77. Check it out and see what you think.

The last verse of the song addresses just the opposite season and goes like this:

This is my prayer in the harvest
When favor and providence flow
I know I'm filled to be emptied again
The seed I've received I will sow

Wow! This one has some weighty content…Take a look at the last two lines.  Then have a look at 2 Corinthians 1:3-5—especially verse 4.

“Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows.  

There is some important theology hinted at here with--regards to the role of suffering in a Christian’s life.  More prominently on my mind at the moment though is the joy that comes from being able to, in some sense, use the suffering or pain of a past experience to help someone else who is in a similar struggle now.  

Let’s actively be involved in other peoples lives, even during a harvest season, so that we can share some of the seeds we’ve received with others who are currently in the desert.   

I think that’s how God wants us to live.

-- Kevin

1 comment: